It is difficult to name another dish that would not be so associated with Russian cuisine. “It’s not red hut with corners, but red with pies” - this is just about them. Since ancient times, cakes were baked in Russia, they were a symbol of the hospitality of the owners, prosperity and comfort in the house. Yes, and now it is unlikely to find food more comfortable than this. And each of us can remember the delicious grandmother’s pies from childhood.
And probably among them were those with potatoes and mushrooms.
By the way, it was with such a filling that pies began to bake not so long ago, about a hundred and fifty years ago. Prior to this, potatoes brought from the Netherlands by Peter the Great were not favored in Russia, they were treated with more familiar vegetables. And then there was a crop failure, and I had to start eating potatoes. That's how they started then, so still we will not stop.
Sleight of hand and ease of filling
Let us first consider what such pies can be made of.
It is clear that there are basic ingredients:
But even potato filling may differ in the way it is cooked, what can we say about dough and mushrooms ...
The dough can be very different, but for our pies with potatoes and mushrooms is suitable:
Mushrooms can be taken for pies, in principle, any, but most often used for toppings:
- oyster mushrooms;
- honey mushrooms;
It is best to take fresh mushrooms, but you can put in the filling and others:
- harvested in oil.
The latter is very often practiced with honey mushrooms: they are fried and rolled into cans, pouring butter on the butter in which they were fried. It turns out something like a mushroom stew.
It is with this filling that we will try to make the first pies with potatoes and mushrooms.
Pies with potato and mushroom filling: a classic recipe for the oven
For the yeast dough from which we will bake our pies, we need:
- standard bag of dry yeast;
- three eggs;
- 60 g of sugar;
- 2 cups sour cream;
- 0.5 cups of milk;
- a kilogram of flour;
- a kilogram of potatoes;
- a jar of honey mushrooms rolled up in oil (0.5 l);
- 2 medium onions.
- Milk must be slightly warmer than the temperature of the human body. Pour it into a fairly spacious dish, pour a bag of yeast into it and let it stand. We need a foam to appear on it.
- Sugar and eggs are ground to a homogeneous eggnog, spread all the sour cream to it, mix. The mass should be the same color and sugar grains should not be felt in it. While we were doing all this, the yeast should already have risen and formed a foam. So you can add our mixture to them.
- By the way, in some recipes it is advised to beat eggs with sugar. This is not forbidden at all, but simply thoroughly ground is also suitable.
- Stirred the liquid component - pour the flour. You can add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil. Cover the mixed dough and put in a warm place to fit.
- In recipes where yeast dough is required, you can find advice on covering dishes with dough with cling film. In fact, for a yeast dough that should fit, this is extremely undesirable, since the film closes tightly with a film - it sticks, and a suitable dough should breathe. It is best to cover it with a towel, a piece of clean cloth. It will be warm under a terry towel, but it will breathe and be saturated with oxygen.
- If the room is not hot at all, you can create the conditions for the test in the oven by heating it to a temperature of no higher than 40 ° C and putting a container there.
- The approached dough needs to be kneaded and put back into heat.
- In the meantime, peel the potatoes, if large - cut in half (it is not necessary to cut too finely, it will be watery - although it will boil faster), boil until cooked and completely drain the water.
- The potato for the filling should be just boiled potato: you do not need to add water, milk, or butter there - just thoroughly bite.
- We spread the mushrooms from the jar into a heated frying pan with oil, heat, and add finely chopped onions to them.
- This is the main difference between the filling and the mushrooms prepared in this way: fresh mushrooms are usually added to the already-fried onions.
- Pour the whole contents of the pan with butter into mashed potatoes, mix. It is not necessary to salt, the mushrooms are salted during harvesting. You can pepper.
- The dough is crushed, divided into parts that are rolled into sausages, then cut into pieces. Each piece is rolled out on a surface dusted with flour: this is a piece of cake.
- Put the fillings on the center of the circle so that there is enough dough left on the edges to cover the fill, and gently pinch.
- To properly pinch, first we bring together the edges over the central part, pinch and hold with one hand, and with the other we pluck the “poles” of the pie. After that, close the rest.
- The oven must be preheated to 180 ° C. Baking sheet or grease with margarine (butter), or line with parchment paper. We put the pies, and after 15 minutes, when they are apart, grease their surface with shaken and slightly diluted with water egg yolk (it is better to separate the yolk from the protein, although in many recipes it is advised simply to "grease with an egg": the yolk gives a golden ruddy color).
The browning of the pies is a signal of readiness!
Fried pies with potatoes and mushrooms
For fried pies you need:
- yeast dough (you can buy ready-made) - 1 kg;
- potatoes - 500 g;
- champignons (oyster mushrooms) - 500 g;
- vegetable oil (a lot).
Step-by-step recipe for fried pies:
- Boil the potatoes, knead. Fry finely chopped mushrooms in a pan, add chopped onion. You can’t overcook, the filling will be a little dry.
- We take the dough, roll it into a layer, cut out the mugs with a glass. On each circle we put a little stuffing, pinch. Leave to distance.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil, put the pies down with a seam (otherwise it may go apart), after 5 minutes we turn it over. Fry until cooked.
Pies with potatoes and mushrooms on a yeast dough: a step by step recipe
And so it is. Not only can the pies be fried and baked, the mushrooms can be taken differently - the potatoes can also be prepared in different ways. In particular, some cook it in the microwave: they wash, salt, put in a food bag or just on a dish, and after 10 minutes they take it out, peel it and crush it. With the same success, but a little longer, boiled potatoes "in their uniforms".
But the best is boiled peeled potatoes, it is more tender and softer.
By the way, young potatoes are bad for such a filling - and for mashed potatoes in general. Only the previous crop is needed.
You can take ready-made yeast dough (500 g), on it:
- 3 large potatoes;
- 200 g of champignons;
- salt, yolk and protein, pepper.
How to cook:
- Roll out the dough, divide into squares with a side of at least 10 cm.
- Put in the middle the filling of mashed potatoes with fried mushrooms and onions (salt and pepper to taste) and pinch - you can make triangles, or you can reduce the sides to the center by making an envelope.
- Grease the edges of the dough with protein so that they stick well, and grease the top of the puff pastries with yolk.
- After 20 minutes of baking at 180 ° C, the pies are ready.
Pies with potatoes and mushrooms (video)
With any dough, you can slightly change the filling: for example, do not crush the potatoes, but cut them into cubes. Such a textured filling can be very interesting, it can be supplemented with chopped dill.
What else to add? Unless you can’t take yesterday's puree for the filling. Freshness is our everything. And cover the pies after the oven with a slightly moistened towel for 5 minutes. They will become incredibly gentle.