Medium late potato "Picasso" after planting gives a harvest on the 125-140th day. This variety is bred by famous Dutch breeders. The description of the variety and its qualitative characteristics make it possible to grow not only gardeners on personal plots, but also on an industrial scale.
The variety was included in the State Register of Varieties of the Russian Federation in 1995. The originator is AGRICO U.A. In Russia, this variety has been cultivated for a little less than twenty years and has managed to establish itself positively.
Picasso potato bushes are upright and relatively tall. The whisk of flowers is white. The tubers are round-oval, yellow, with small pink eyes. The mass of the tuber is on average 125 g. The pulp is cream-beige in color and contains starch 8-14%.
The variety is late ripe, table use. The period from seedlings to technical maturity can vary from 120 to 130 days. Taste is good and got a rating of 5 on a five-point scale. Commercial quality is quite high. Total yield reaches 4 kg per square meter with a planting pattern of 70 x 35 cm and observing agricultural technology.
The variety is practically not affected by cancer, has nematode resistance. It is characterized by medium resistance to twisting of leaves and scab, but it is susceptible to late blight.
Advantages and disadvantages
Potato "Picasso" has the following advantages:
- great taste with pronounced potato aroma;
- tubers have excellent digestibility;
- the variety is resistant to viruses and many diseases;
- potato plantings easily tolerate temperature changes;
- seed material shows high survival rate in various climatic conditions of our country;
- The variety is intended for long-term storage. Losses of potato tubers during storage do not exceed 10-12%;
- the crop easily transfers transportation over long distances.
A very important advantage of the variety is the absence of a negative effect on low temperature indicators, drought, as well as increased humidity.
Dates and features of landing
Potato "Picasso" is zoned in the Central and Central Black Earth regions. However, a feature of this variety is the formation of a sufficiently high-quality and high yield in almost all areas of potato growing. When landing, you must follow the basic rules:
- A month and a half before planting, you should get the seed, conduct a visual assessment of its suitability for planting, and then place it in a bright place with the aim of germination at a temperature of no higher than 12-15 ° C.
- Immediately before sowing, stimulating treatment of the tubers with Zircon or Epin should be carried out.
- You can not plant in areas used in the previous season for growing tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplant and potatoes.
- Prepared potato tubers should be planted in spring while maintaining moisture in the soil. Depth of landing largely depends on the composition of the soil. On denser and heavier soils, the depth of planting material should be minimal.
Potato "Picasso" responds to proper care by forming a high and quality crop. Standard care rules:
- after the emergence of mass seedlings and at their height of 5-7 cm, the first hilling is carried out, as well as weeding;
- the second hilling of potato tops needs to be done after the appearance of flower buds on plants, about a week and a half before mass flowering;
- the first preventive treatment against late blight should be done 15-20 days after emergence;
- the development of bronze on the leaves is recommended to be stopped by feeding potatoes with any potash fertilizers;
- if rains for a long time are completely absent, then it is required to irrigate plants with an interval of 10 days, and their volume depends on air temperature, as well as indicators of moisture evaporation from the soil.
The main sign that potatoes can be harvested is yellowing and drying of potato tops. From the emergence of seedlings to the complete death of the tops of this variety of potatoes takes about 150 days.
Potato "Picasso" is distinguished by a large number of positive reviews from both experienced potato growers and amateur gardeners. Potatoes of this variety have an attractive appearance, easily tolerate high temperatures of air and soil throughout the growing season, and are well stored. When cooking, potatoes are not boiled and suitable for cooking almost any culinary dishes.
How to grow potatoes (video)
When growing potatoes of the Picasso variety, a peculiarity should be taken into account - the variety needs good soil fertilizer. Lack of fertilizer significantly reduces the taste of potatoes. This variety shows the highest yield when grown in Bryansk, Vladimir, Ivanovo, Kaluga, Moscow, Ryazan, Smolensk, Tula, Belgorod, Voronezh, Kursk, Lipetsk, Oryol and Tambov regions.