Everyone can grow pepper in their own summer cottage, but only a few can get a good and high-quality crop at the end of the season. This is due to growing methods, the correctness of agricultural technology and the desire of the summer resident to do what he loves. Our recommendations will help you get the desired harvest and grow sweet and juicy fruits for fresh salads and canning in your own greenhouse.
Like other greenhouse plants, pepper requires the full provision of favorable conditions. Let's just say how you feel about planting and caring for the vegetable, so he will thank you.
Pepper in a greenhouse can be grown in the garden, or in special film bags in which the nutrient mixture is placed. But we are more interested in simple methods, without frills and unnecessary waste.
So, for the pepper to grow, to please the lush bush and the poured fruits, it needs to provide a fertilized and prepared soil. It can be compost or rotted manure, carefully mixed with garden soil. Also, before planting peppers, the soil should be fertilized with mineral fertilizers.
Make sure that the soil is clean and well loosened, no crop will live in dead soil.
Planting pepper in a greenhouse
The cultivation process is best started in March, when the weather conditions become a little milder. During this period, the seeds are sown in previously prepared soil, and preferably, in general, in compost, which is slightly moistened. It is necessary to maintain a distance between the seeds of 1-2 cm, so the seedlings that appear later (and this in a few weeks) will not interfere with each other. The box with seeds is sprinkled with a layer of dry compost, literally a few centimeters, and covered with glass, and then with paper or newspaper.
While the seeds germinate, the ambient temperature should be kept at +21 degrees Celsius. Further, when the seedlings appear on the surface of the earth, grow up and get stronger, they are dived into small diameter peat pots, and periodically fed.
Super peppers in the greenhouse (video)
After 11-12 weeks, stronger seedlings are transplanted into larger pots, approximately 20-25 cm in diameter. This is necessary so that the root system develops well. Pots are set in the greenhouse, observing a distance of at least 40 cm from each other.
At this moment, do not forget about watering and top dressing. They should be timely, but moderate. The temperature of the content should remain at the same level, and be a few degrees below the mark at which the seedlings began to shoot, that is, about +18 degrees Celsius.
When the bushes begin to branch, it is necessary to begin to form them. Bell pepper in a greenhouse loves to grow in freedom, especially if you do not allow plants to grow thicker, you will protect them from many diseases.
When adult seedlings reach a height of 15 cm, they remove the apical buds. This has a good effect on the branching of the bush and the further development of the fruit.
Since peppers can be very tall in heated greenhouses, you need to think about garter too. To do this, you can organize a trellis or improvised racks, tying the plant to them in several places with special clamps or several bundles of thick thread, so as not to injure the trunk.
It is necessary to constantly monitor the moisture content of the greenhouse soil, the indoor temperature, air humidity and the condition of the plants, which itself often shows what they lack or what is excessive. When temperature, air and top dressing are normal, the pepper will grow well.
Greenhouse varieties of pepper
It is very important to understand the algorithms for planting and growing seeds, transplanting seedlings into a greenhouse, and agricultural technology itself, but to get a crop at the end of the season, this is not enough. An important success factor in this matter is the right choice of seeds for growing. During their purchase, it is necessary to pay attention not only to the beautiful packaging and inexpensive cost, but also to the manufacturer, compatibility with growth conditions, aging time, and so on. It will be most correct to choose healthy varieties of pepper that are produced in your region or nearby to be sure that this variety will grow well in your greenhouse.
At the moment, experts recommend the following greenhouse varieties: Ilya Muromets, Elephant, Red and Yellow Bull, Othello, Agapovsky, Health, Victoria, Tenderness, Fortress, Gingerbread Man etc. Each of them differs in its characteristics, so be careful when choosing.
Tips for growing pepper and eggplant in a greenhouse (video)
Greenhouse Pepper Diseases
There are many diseases of plants in the greenhouse that can significantly spoil the crop. In order to be able to identify them and neutralize them in time, you need to know the external signs and methods of control, described below:
- Blackleg. The fungus of the plant, which is manifested by darkening and constriction of the root neck. It happens that at the place of darkening, a gray coating is also noticeable. This disease spreads quickly and affects the root system of the plant, completely killing it. You can fight the black leg in time by disinfecting the greenhouse, replacing the infected soil with fresh soil, rejecting weak and diseased plants when planting, and also avoiding excessive plant thickening and excessive humidity in the greenhouse;
- Black bacterial spotting. A disease that affects the entire plant from the time of germination. The leaves are covered with small black spots with a yellow outline, the stems are the same, but only with more elongated spots, and the fruits are covered with small watery bulges. Over time, the plant dies or simply loses the quality of its crop. The development is promoted by the high temperature in the greenhouse. You can fight the disease by chemical means, preliminary selection of healthy seeds for planting, soil change and removal of diseased plants from the territory;
- Late blight. A harmful disease can easily affect not only the fruits, but also the stems and leaves, completely killing the plant. Late blight is manifested by the affected tissues of the plant, spots that are edged with a light green zone. The following factors contribute to the development of the disease - a sharp cooling at night and increased humidity. There are several ways to deal with late blight, but the strongest are: pre-dressing of seeds, covering plants in a greenhouse during cold weather, spraying plants with special solutions and tinctures, including a solution of Bordeaux fluid (1%), as well as isolating the greenhouse from beds of potatoes and tomatoes, which are most often affected by the disease;
- White rot. A disease that develops starting from the basal part of a plant. At first, part of the stem is covered with a painful coating, then white rot develops in the inner part, forming hardenings. When hardens dissolve, they block the access of nutrients from the root system. For this reason, peppers in the greenhouse rot and die. Promotes the development of planting in cold weather and excessive humidity. Getting rid of the disease will help with proper watering without waterlogging, dusting the infected areas with chalk or coal, mulching the soil and processing with chemicals;
- Mosaic. A similar disease develops quickly on peppers in a greenhouse when plants are damaged during a dive, transplant and garter. Its source is contaminated soil and seeds. Mosaic can be identified by a characteristic pattern on the leaves of plants of yellow, greenish and dark green.
Professionals still know many pepper diseases in the greenhouse, including Gray Rot, Strick, Internal Fruit Necrosis, and so on. You can get rid of them using folk methods, or using modern chemicals. But despite this, every experienced summer resident should know that preventing the disease is much easier than then fighting it, experiencing stress from the cost of free time and extra finance. Therefore, first of all, try to observe the agricultural technology of growing crops in greenhouse conditions, properly care for plants, and also use only healthy seeds for planting. Following these simple rules will help you grow a good harvest without unnecessary nerves and worries.
Pepper grown in a greenhouse (20 photos)