For any plant, including strawberries, for normal functioning, a mass of nutrients is required: amino acids, minerals, trace elements and water. The plant can synthesize some compounds on its own, but they are not enough for the strawberry bush to form large enough and sweet berries, or even to bear fruit. That is why it is customary to feed garden strawberry plantings, starting from the first warm days in spring and ending with autumn cooling.
Strawberry Fertilizer Classification
For strawberries, the best gardener is one who knows how to feed well - this saying can be safely installed in all strawberry beds, because this is the true truth. Yes, garden strawberries can not be called a gourmet among plants, however, she loves variety in food. To the question of whether it is possible to grow this crop simply on “good” soil, one can immediately give a negative answer. Regardless of the quality of the soil on the site, it is better to fertilize the soil under the strawberries.
A completely different question is what is the best remedy, that is, it contains the greatest amount of substances useful for strawberries. Here, it is important for the gardener to remember that as such there is no better fertilizer, and therefore he will have to add the following groups during the year:
- Organic - manure, compost and humus, pure ash and infusions from them.
- Mineral - salts of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus, dissolved in water or for application to the soil in the form of granules.
- Integrated - a mixture of several components containing all three types of mineral salts (basic), and sometimes trace elements.
- Microfertilizers - single-component or multicomponent preparations with boron, manganese, magnesium, copper and other trace elements.
Also, lovers of organic farming fertilize the beds with strawberries, iodine, ordinary baker's yeast and potassium permanganate. It is believed that they not only contain minerals and trace elements, but also improve the soil and the plants themselves.
Strawberry dressing in spring (video)
Organics for garden strawberries: how and when to feed
Organics is the best fertilizer for any plant. No exception and garden strawberries. Fertilizers of this group are a good source of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, as well as the mass of trace elements. It is better to feed them plantations with a berry in the fall, and even better - to make them before planting strawberries. This advice applies primarily to fresh manure - chicken, cattle, and even more so pork.
In spring, it is recommended to make well-rotted manure or humus on the beds, preferably in the form of mulch. But in the summer it is better to use organic matter in the form of infusions. To do this, manure or chicken droppings in a mixture with grass is poured with water and left in the sun for a week. Then the mixture is diluted with water, and then introduced into the soil under irrigation.
The only drawback of organic fertilizers is weed seeds. When they are introduced, the next spring of the summer resident begins with multiple weeding, which greatly complicates the care of wild strawberries.
Mineral fertilizing: terms and methods of application
Mineral fertilizers are single-component and complex. The first group includes:
- Nitrogen Fertilizers - with urea and other nitrate salts and compounds. They are recommended to be applied in the spring, after the appearance of the first seedlings. They are also added to organic infusions until mid-summer. Early feeding stimulates the formation of new leaves and inflorescences. With a urea solution, plants are treated in the presence of some diseases.
- Potash fertilizer - sulfate and potassium chloride or potassium nitrate, as well as wood ash. These compounds improve the structure and taste of the fruit and are suitable for spring application and summer top dressing.
- Phosphoric Fertilizers - phosphorite flour, diammophos, ammophos, single or double superphosphate. They are recommended to be made in the autumn for digging to increase crop yields in the next year.
In addition, there are complexes of mineral fertilizers with and without trace elements. Along with ease of use, these mixtures are a good way to prevent mineral and microelement starvation of strawberries. The best in this regard, reviews of gardeners are called the following fertilizers:
To find out what strawberry elements are needed at the moment is very difficult, especially for an ordinary gardener. Symptoms such as chlorosis, redness and darkening of leaf blades are characteristic of a lack of several elements at once. That is why it is recommended to introduce complex fertilizers into the ground, adapted to the needs of garden strawberries.
After reading the corresponding article on our portal, you can also learn about the rules for watering strawberries.
Can fertilizers protect against pests and diseases
The use of fertilizers as top dressing and protection against strawberry infections is the dream of many gardeners, because in this way you can save effort and money. Fortunately, such a combination (protection + top dressing) is quite normal. So, processing strawberry plantations with copper sulphate will help prevent the spread of fungal infections along it, and also make up for the lack of copper. The same can be said about tillage and seedlings with boric acid.
By the way, the processing of strawberries with folk remedies for pests (for example, a decoction of wormwood or garlic) can be combined with watering potash fertilizers at the root. This combination repels insects and also makes plants tasteless to them.
How to fertilize strawberries (video)
With the timely use of complex fertilizers or organic, strawberries will surely please gardeners with juicy and sweet berries. Harvesting on fertile soils is a real conveyor, because strawberry bushes develop and bear fruit in conditions of complete prosperity. It is almost impossible to grow a record crop without fertilizing the garden.